Are you interested in working with a team which is dedicated to making an impact on our planet?
Have a look at our current opening, is it the job for you?
DEEP SEA ADVOCACY COORDINATOR POSITION
The Blue Climate Initiative is a multi-year global program engaging scientists, innovators, community leaders, investors and global experts to harness research and innovation to accelerate ocean-based strategies to protect our oceans and combat climate change. BCI is a program of Tetiaroa Society, a US-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization engaged in scientific research, conservation and educational programs, which has its origins on the island of Tetiaroa in French Polynesia.
The Blue Climate Initiative is seeking a Deep Sea Advocacy Coordinator to join our small, nimble and cohesive team.
The candidate will serve as “Deep Sea Advocacy Coordinator” for the Blue Climate Initiative. In this capacity, the person will lead BCI’s projects and programs to achieve a deep sea mining moratorium. This will be a top priority activity of BCI between the Fall of 2022 and October 2023 with continuing efforts thereafter. This role will involve a significant amount of communications and outreach, coordination with coalition partners, and efforts to design and implement strategies, such as the development of legislation, that will help prevent deep sea mining. As time permits, the Coordinator will also assist with other BCI projects and programs.
A priority BCI activity over the next 12 months will be an Advocacy Campaign in favor of a Deep Sea Mining Moratorium, for which the Deep Sea Advocacy Coordinator will play a central role.
More specifically, the Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Refining and implementing a DSM strategy: propose, initiate, and implement strategies and supporting activities that will help to achieve a deep sea mining moratorium
- Investigating (secondary research) and communicating about:
- The value of preserving and protecting the deep seabeds for the health of our planet and the benefit of humankind
- The harm that deep sea mining would cause to ocean ecosystems
- Alternative technologies and options to sourcing metals from the deep sea
- Regulatory and policy aspects of all three topics above
- Competently and impactfully engaging in legislative and regulatory dialogue on the subject of deep sea mining with local and international regulators and policy makers, and other parties
- Celebrating the companies, governments, organizations and individuals who sign onto a moratorium
- Interfacing with DSM moratorium coalition members, allies & stakeholders
- Anchoring / developing / placing various media and social media pieces about Deep Sea Mining. More practically and as relevant: this could entail developing and maintaining content for written and visual communications products, drafting articles for publications, blogs, news updates, presentations, key publications, press briefs and distributions, web content, social media posts, audiovisual material, interviews and podcasts.
As a core member of the BCI team, the consultant will also engage in other key BCI activities as needs arise and especially as they require communications support, such as BCI general communication, other advocacy campaigns, rollout of prize competitions, campaigns around other key initiatives, participation in key ocean and climate events, or fundraising efforts.
Coordination, Management, and Reporting:
Coordination: Coordination with the BCI core team and close collaborators on a daily basis. The consultant will also interact with media outlets such as editors, publishers, journals, or podcasters on a regular basis.
Management: Direct oversight of various communications contractors in special cases where these may be outsourced (social media, website maintenance, graphic design, audiovisual production, printing companies, etc…) and as applicable.
Reporting: The position reports to BCI’s Director of Programs and Operations.
Location, Duration and Time Commitment:
The consultant must be preferably located on the West Coast of the United States and/or will work on Pacific Daily time zone working hours. This is a remote position with occasional in-person meetings in the San Francisco Bay Area.
This is initially a 12 month full time consultant contract commencing as soon as possible, renewable with agreement of both parties, with the option for a part time status during an initial onboarding and transition phase (3 months max).
- Master degree in relevant field (such as environmental science, political science, communication, or any combination). Degree in marine science a plus
- Track record in designing and implementing successful environmental advocacy campaigns in a senior role
- Track record, interest and ability to conduct secondary research to further expand BCI’s institutional knowledge about the deep sea and deep sea mining
- Track record, interest and ability to participate in dialogues on important environmental policy topics
- Proficiency in using or directly supervising operators of various communication software and online platforms (web design, graphic design, social media etc)
- Good understanding of and prior relationships with press and key media distribution networks
- Networking and coalition building skills
- Passion for environmental causes
- Adaptability, versatility and flexibility taking on different roles associated with working in a small, dynamic and very nimble team environment
- Initiative and ability to work autonomously
- Ability to travel on a limited basis (approximately once a quarter)
- Excellent English writing and speaking skills, a knowledge of French would be an advantage but not a requirement.
The Blue Climate Initiative is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization. We celebrate diversity in our team and invite all qualified individuals to apply for this role.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying to this position to: email@example.com. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible however.